These terms and conditions govern your booking with Dark Hills Uganda (we or us). Please read them carefully. They contain important information regarding the service you can expect from us. They also contain practical information about your Ugandan adventure and what we will do in the unlikely event of any problems.
We provide all services on the basis of these standard terms and conditions.
- Your bookingsWhether you book alone or as a group, we will only deal with the lead booking name (you) in all subsequent correspondence, including changes, amendments and cancellations.You are responsible for:
- promptly confirming your booking and returning the completed booking form to us;
- promptly making all payments due to us or any third parties in connection with your booking, including all payments on behalf of other members of your group;
- ensuring the accuracy of the personal details or any other information supplied in respect of yourself and any other person travelling on the booking; and
- Passing on any information regarding the booking or any changes to all persons travelling on your booking (including information about schedule changes or copies of booking confirmations).
- Your itinerary Please read your itinerary in full. We hope that it covers everything you want it to. If you have any queries, please let us know as soon as possible before starting your trip. We want to exceed your expectations.We ask all guests to confirm the time and date of their flights (or other travel arrangements where relevant) at the time of booking. We need this information to plan and book your trip. If your travel times and/or dates change, you must inform us immediately. You may incur additional costs if these details change.As with other countries in East Africa, roads in Uganda are generally in poor condition but with adequate security. In our experience, customers often underestimate the amount of time it can take to travel between destinations. We will always try to manage your expectations and will arrange your itinerary accordingly. While we cannot prevent unforeseen problems, we believe that the easiest way to avoid disappointment is to allow plenty of time for you to travel to your activities or the airport. If you are flying out of Uganda at the end of your trip with us, we will normally suggest accommodation within easy reach of the airport on the night before you fly.
- Changes to your itinerary Travel delays, schedule changes, cancellations, overbooking and damage to or loss of baggage may delay the start of your trip or require one or more additional nights in Uganda or East Africa at the end of your trip. This is out of our control. We will use reasonable efforts to assist you in these circumstances but you must meet any additional costs we incur in doing so.In rare circumstances, we may need to change routes or activities. We will try to consult you before doing this. Such circumstances may include variable conditions such as seasonal rainfall on bush tracks, airfields and in game areas; game migrations from one region to another; airline or other booking problems; or any other reason.
Uganda and all East African countries have a wide range of accommodation options to suit all budgets. However, standards of accommodation (e.g. budget, mid-range, luxury) are not always comparable to what you may expect in other parts of the world. While we will always try to advise you of suitable accommodation options for your trip, we rely on you to tell us about your requirements. Please do not make any assumptions and ask us if you have any queries. Where your requested accommodation is unavailable, we reserve the right to book alternative accommodation. We will try to consult you before doing this and, where possible, will book alternative accommodation of the same standard and in the same area.
Unless otherwise stated, all our tours include transport and the services of an experienced guide/driver. All vehicles we use are appropriately licensed and insured. We are mindful that our vehicles are regularly used in challenging environments. Therefore, we take care to ensure that they are fit and safe for use. As with accommodation, there are several types and classes of vehicle available, but standards are not always comparable to what you may expect in other parts of the world. We will recommend a suitable vehicle for your trip but please let us know if you have any additional requirements or concerns. Our vans are 4
We will ask for an advance payment of 30% of your tour costs (plus 100% of the cost of any gorilla or other wildlife permits). We will not accept any booking without this payment. Payment is by bank transfer in US dollars unless we agree otherwise with you. We will provide our account details at the time of booking.By making this payment, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. You will pay the remaining tour costs no less than eight weeks before the start of your tour with us. If you do not pay the full amount to us by this time, we reserve the right to cancel your booking and retain any amounts already paid to us. If you make a booking less than eight weeks before the start of your tour with us, we will ask you to pay 100% of your tour costs at the time of booking.All payments MUST only be made to the Company accounts below which will be provided once a booking is confirmed.
A cancellation fee applies when you cancel a booking with us. This cancellation fee is based on the full price of your trip excluding any gorilla permits and chimpanzee permits.
|if you cancel
|90 days or more
|15% of tour cost
|89 – 55 days
|30% of tour cost
|54 – 30 days
|50% of tour cost
|29 – 15 days
|75% of tour cost
|14 – 0 days
||100% of tour cost
Where we return money to you, we will make reasonable deductions on account of any bank or similar charges we may incur.
- Gorilla and other wildlife permit
We will book all gorilla and other wildlife permits for your trip (subject to availability). We regret that we cannot refund any payment for gorilla or other wildlife permits. We pay the full cost to the Uganda Wildlife Authority at the time of booking and the cost of booking is non-refundable by them. However, we may try to sell the permits if you are unable to use them and pass the proceeds of any sale to you.
If you the initial deposit is equivalent to the value of the gorilla permits or other wildlife permits, expect not refund.
You and the other members of your group are responsible for ensuring that you have all appropriate documentation (e.g. valid passport, visa, health certificates) for your trip to Uganda and/or Rwanda.You and the other members of your group are also responsible for arranging appropriate travel and/or health insurance. You must carry proof of insurance with you. We strongly advise you to obtain adequate insurance to cover all activities you may participate in and possible risks you may encounter during your trip. Specialist insurance may be required for certain activities (e.g. white-water rafting, mountain climbing).
- Health and fitness
Certain tourist activities in Uganda (e.g. gorilla tracking, white-water rafting) require a reasonable level of physical fitness. Trips in both countries may also involve long drives. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, are pregnant or have any concerns about your ability to undertake certain activities or fitness to travel, we advise you to seek advice from a medical practitioner before booking your trip.You may require vaccinations before travelling to Uganda and/or any other country in East Africa; we recommend that you carry an adequate supply of antimalarial medication.
- Your safety
Your safety is our primary concern.
Most visits to Uganda are trouble-free. However, both countries have a history of political instability and, in some areas, that instability is ongoing. We are aware that from time to time some governments advise against non-essential travel to some parts of Uganda. Therefore, we advise you to check the latest travel advice issued by the government in your home country before booking your trip. We are happy to answer any queries you may have.For many of our visitors, the opportunity to come into close contact with a diverse range of wildlife is one of their main reasons for visiting Uganda. Attacks by wild animals are rare but we cannot guarantee that they will not occur.
Please note that many safari camps, hotels and lodges are not fenced and are accessible to wildlife. For your safety, please follow any instructions from local staff and take care when going to and from your tent, lodge, banda or room. You will normally be asked to avoid storing food or drinks in your room as this can attract animals. If you are camping, you should remain extra vigilant and ask your guide if you have any concerns.
- Our liability
We accept no liability to you, in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty or otherwise, for any indirect or consequential losses suffered by you or any member of your group arising out of or in connection with your booking with us.Our total liability to you and each member of your group will in no circumstances exceed, in aggregate, the total amount paid by you to us in connection with your booking (excluding the cost of any gorilla or other wildlife permits). We will have no liability whatsoever to any third parties. Nothing in these terms and conditions limits our liability for death or personal injury (when caused by our negligence), fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Governing Law
These terms and conditions will be exclusively governed by, and will be construed in accordance with, the laws of Uganda. The courts of Uganda will have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any claims arising out of or in connection with these terms and conditions and your booking with us.
We hope that you have a wonderful trip. However, if any aspect of your trip is unsatisfactory or does not meet your expectations, please let us or your guide know as soon as possible. Please do not wait until the end of your trip or after you have returned home. We will do our best to resolve any issues where we are able to do so.And finally,… Thank you for choosing Dark Hills Uganda. We appreciate that you have a choice and value the trust you have placed in us. We can’t wait to meet you and look forward to creating memories that will last a lifetime! When you receive your booking confirmation and invoice from us, please check the details carefully and let us know immediately if anything is incorrect. Your booking confirmation and invoice, as well as any other correspondence with us, should be read alongside these terms and conditions. We expect you and any other members of your group to have read and understood these documents to ensure your trip is appropriate to your interests, abilities and expectations. THANK YOU FOR TAKING TIME TO READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS!
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us! Your enjoyment, comfort and safety are our priority.